From the pages of The Banner

This Week in History

Posted 6/18/17

The following items were compiled by the History Branch of the Cleveland Bradley County Public Library from old issues of the Cleveland Daily Banner and its forerunners, the Cleveland Banner, the …

This item is available in full to subscribers

From the pages of The Banner

This Week in History


The following items were compiled by the History Branch of the Cleveland Bradley County Public Library from old issues of the Cleveland Daily Banner and its forerunners, the Cleveland Banner, the Journal, and the Journal and Banner.


The following clippings taken from the papers to which credit is given below have been released in regard to Dr. J.W. Malone’s success in a former position. It is the hope of the community that the new president of Centenary may succeed in energizing the somewhat lagging interests of that fine plat and putting it on a successful and winning program.

Following are the clippings:

Dr. J.W. Malone, for several years past president of Andrew Female College, has accepted the presidency of Centenary College-Conservatory at Cleveland. Dr. Malone has proven himself a first-class school man by his work at Andrew College, where he has done what is really a remarkable work.

The authorities of the college and his many friends in Georgia regret to see him leave the state. — Wesleyan Christian Advocate, Atlanta, Ga.

Dr. J.W. Malone and his family plan to leave tomorrow for Cleveland and their new home. During their stay of 12 or 13 years here, they have been prominently identified with Cuthbert. Dr. Malone was for a short time pastor of the Cuthbert Methodist church and for 12 years was president of Andrew College.

His wife was associated with the college and has been an active church and club worker. They have three fine sons and four bright, attractive daughters. Cuthbert regrets to lose this excellent community family. — The Cuthbert Leader, Cuthbert, Ga.


Mrs. Mattie Huffine, wife of Thomas Huffine of this city, died at the family home on Church Street this Thursday morning at about 11 o’clock.

Mrs. Huffine had been ill with a liver and intestinal complication, which the doctor described as abscess. The deceased was about 68 years of age. She was born and reared in this county in the neighborhood of Pine Hill, and her maiden name was Mattie North.

Deceased was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church at Ooltewah. She is survived by her husband and some brothers who are at unknown points in the West. Funeral will occur at the late residence Friday at 2:30 and burial will be in Fort Hill cemetery.


Miss Watkins of Chattanooga is in the city instructing a class in surgical dressing. The class meets in the evening at the Red Cross Room at Centenary College.

Through the kindness of Dr. Malone, the dining room has been given to the Red Cross workers. They moved from the custom house to their new headquarters this week.


J.B. Angel, of Knoxville, died Thursday afternoon at about 3 o’clock when he fell from the top of a high pole on Ocoee Street at the head of the Fillauer Lane.

Angel had been summoned from Knoxville to do some work on the line here and taking with him a helper was engaged at his work. The supposition is that the workman came in contact with a heavily charged wire receiving a shock thereby which caused him to lose his hold.

The man did not fall directly to the ground, however, but had a peculiar and harrowing experience, which was witnessed by several persons and was little less horrible to them than it must have been to the man himself who may have been mercifully unconscious.

When Angel turned loose his hold, his right leg slipped through the iron brace which supports the cross arms on the pole. Supported by this he hung for some time with head and hands dangling in the air. A hurried call was telephoned to the city fire hall and Fire Chief W.O. Horner accompanied by Will Wehunt and Gid Hawk hastened to the scene making a record trip.

Chief Horner shouted encouragement to the man who was hanging apparently lifeless, and ladders were hastily run up. The two long ladders lacked about eight feet of reaching the man, and a roof ladder was then taken up and hooked to the cross arms. Mr. Horner states that he urged the man’s helper to take up his rope and lash the man to the pole, but this he refused to do.

Gid Hawk then climbed to the man and was in the act of assisting him when the helper interfered, warning Hawk that he would be electrocuted if he touched the iron brace. It appeared that the victim was conscious of what was transpiring as he then made an effort to extricated himself. Reaching up, he took hold of the cross arm and pulled his leg from its fastening.

In his weakened condition, he held on for a few seconds dangling 30 or 40 feet from the ground. Losing hold, he fell 20 feet or more striking an electric light wire with his back. This blow itself must have been fatal, but rebounding to a height of several feet the body again fell to the hard road below where the skull was crushed in from the rear.

The man was rushed to the office of Dr. T.J. McKamey, who had heard of the accident and gone to the scene, but within a few moments life had gone. The dead man’s relatives were communicated with in Knoxville and a brother came for the body which will be returned to that city.


To the Citizens of Cleveland:

Every day or two brings to me a new communication from the Federal Fuel Administrator at Nashville asking me to urge everybody to buy their winter’s supply of coal now, and telling me that it is practically certain that there will be a bad shortage of coal next winter, and doubtless very strict regulations as to the supply of coal for domestic use.

Some of our citizens have asked me the question: Where can I get coal, and how soon can I get it? and to both questions I have to answer that I do not know. The Federal Fuel Administration does not give us any promise as to where or when we can get it, but it does urge us all to file our orders with the dealers, and to be ready to take our coal as soon as it is available.

It looks as if it would be a matter of standing in line and waiting our turn. If anyone is in need of coal for any special purpose that makes for the benefit of the community, or the advancement of war preparations, I can get coal for such persons by sending in an emergency order. I cannot do this unless there is a real emergency.

If any who want emergency orders will communicate with me, I will do the best I can for them. Such things as running of flour or corn mills, threshing wheat, maintaining public roads or the supply of public utilities can be legitimately the subjects of emergency orders.

T.S. Russell, U.S. Fuel Administrator for Bradley County.


Effective at once, the following regulations will be enforced:

(A) No boarding house, hotel, restaurant of public eating place shall place on their menus or serve boiled beef more than two meals weekly; beefsteak more than one meal weekly and roast beef more than one meal weekly.

(B) Householders shall not, under any circumstances, buy more than one and one quarter pounds of clear beef weekly, or one or one half pounds, including the bone, per person in the household.

The demands for beef for our army and our allied armies and their civilian populations this summer are beyond our surplus. On the other hand, we have enough increased supply of pork to permit commercial expansion in its use. It will therefore be a direct service to our armies and the allies if our people would, in some degree, substitute fresh pork, bacon, hams and sausage for beef products.

The above instructions are mandatory. No option is allowed any one subject to them. It will be the duty of all county food administrators, deputies, hotel representatives and loyal citizens to report any violations in order that the drastic penalties of the Food Control Act may be invoked against the offenders.

Yours very truly, H.A. Morgan


As a result of trying to arbitrate a lawsuit with a double-barrel shotgun, Jerry Rich of the community of Weatherly Switch in the southern part of this county, is confined to his home seriously wounded in the arm and throughout his entire back as the result of the reception of two loads of No. 4 shot.

Tom Frazier, neighbor and owner of adjoining lands, is in hiding or is a fugitive under charge of doing the shooting.

It seems the two men have been disputing for some time over a boundary between their lands and finally got into a lawsuit over the matter. Frazier recently found some of his crops destroyed and laid the damage to the maliciousness of his enemy.

Details of the dispute which resulted in the shooting have not been learned, but this is said to be the prime cause. Rich is seriously injured, but not necessarily fatally so, although it is believed he will lose an arm as a result of the difficulty.

Sheriff Gibson was called to the community this Thursday morning, shortly after the shooting occurred, but was unable to locate Frazier. Most likely however he is scouting around waiting for developments.


A general dirth of male help is now being witnessed in Cleveland, as it is elsewhere. A large number of the men of the community have either volunteered for military service, been drafted, or have left to seek position with some of the government plants scattered over the country.

This has resulted in leaving many positions to be filled by women or by mere boys in their teens. The government has given out the impression that men will not be permitted to remain in such positions as are of a mere clerical nature and therefore nonproductive.

It begins to look as if there is going to be an almost entire rearrangement of the business system of the country. This has been predicted by some for a year and it seems to be upon us really sooner than had been expected.

In all probability the beginning has just been made, and within another year the aspect of all business will be entirely changed.


On Sunday, Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Keys entertained with a family reunion at their apartments in the Filleaur Flats. All the children were present with the exception of Mrs. Mack Bryant of Harriman, who is expected home this week.


To the members of the Red Cross and others:

I hereby express my hearty thanks and appreciation for their kindness to me. I enjoyed the dinner which was served on the courthouse lawn very much, also am thankful for the package which was given me.

The sweater fit like it had been made to measure. I am liking camp fine since we were released from quarantine. We were quarantined for 14 long days, believe me they were long ones too. I have not seen but three or four of the Bradley County boys since I have been here. Most all of the old boys that were here when we came are now gone.

I think they went to Camp Dix, N.J. We were sure scattered some when we came to camp. There is one Cleveland boy in this barracks besides myself. I think every county in Tennessee is represented in Camp Pike.

For pleasure I go to the “Y” or play baseball or other games, or sometimes get a pass and go to Little Rock. We have Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday afternoon off except when detailed on special duty.

I was detailed for the first time Sunday, to unload several hundred guns, that is what we put the Huns out of commission with. Will stop for this time. With best wishes for the Red Cross and Bradley County, I am, Yours Truly, Sam D. Hicks.


News has been received by ex-Mayor T.C. Thompson that his son, Hugh, has been the victim of a gas attack, but other than the bare fact, Mr. Thompson is in complete ignorance of his condition.

The cablegram conveying the unwelcome news was received Tuesday, and stated that he was being cared for in a base hospital. The well-known Chattanooga boy holds the rank of second lieutenant, having graduated from the first officers’ training camp at Fort Oglethorpe.

He was assigned to an infantry regiment, and went across in September. According to his father, he has been in the trenches most of the time for the last six months. He is but 24 years old. News of Lieut. Thompson’s injury is learned with deep regret by Cleveland friends, as Mr. Thompson was for some time a resident of this city, being in the employ of the Tennessee Power Co., and quit his position here to enter the first officers’ training camp.

His friends here wish for him a prompt recovery and that he may avenge the Hun that “gassed him.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment


Print subscribers have FREE access to by registering HERE

Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE

We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.

If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.

Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE